Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Power of Love, not the love of power

Jedi word tricks indeed!
I missed the beginning of Bill's speech, so I don't know what I missed, but I heard enough to feel like he sealed the deal.
I was fortunate enough to hear this great line:
"People around the world have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
I don't know if he plagiarized this line, but it still sounds great. The title of my post is a quote from a May Moore song, Bohemia, and I've always loved these lines:
Late afternoon is a time to dream
I like to listen to Coltraine's 'A Love Supreme'
Then I leave my rented room and I walk
Through the fading light down streets that talk
I always meet someone I could call a friend
Prejudice is something we must transcend
Coming into season this world will flower
With the power of love, not the love of power
To quote/warp Rachel Maddow from last night's speech, I really have to agree that
Anybody who could be persuaded would be persuaded by that speech.
At this point, anyone who doesn't want to get on board the O-Train has their own reasons.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I missed the opening of Bill's speech too, but I got enough of it (on the car radio) to be totally jazzed. It was a powerful speech and I was surprised how strongly Clinton spoke of Obama's strengths. It felt like a healing moment to me, and it may have been a healing moment for the party to finally be able to embrace the many accomplishments of the Clinton administration. The Monica Lewinsky scandal seems to be ancient history as we compare Clinton's 8 years with the present administration that doesn't care about upholding the constitution.
Dennis

Jon Sievert said...

As one who was fiercely angry and cynical about the last month or two of Hillary's campaign, I can now say I have my regained my respect for the Clintons. Both gave powerful speeches that pulled no punches in their support for Obama. After all the news media hype about the split in the party, I was really pleased to see the wild 3.5-minute reception given Bill. He is still a powerful, charismatic force who can bring in the voters.

I was interested to learn that Bill dismissed all of his speech writers and wrote this one by himself. The Clintons will be a significant asset to Barak's campaign and the Repugs must be crapping their pants.

This convention is the best one I can remember (and the first one I remember was the nomination of Adlai Stevenson in 1952). Every major speech has been strong, each building on the other. Barak will seal the deal tonight. Now we all have to make sure there is no letup and we all do what we can to make this happen. Even though I moved to Mexico five years ago, I have done what I can by helping register voters and assist them in requesting their absentee ballots. We have a very strong Democrats Abroad here in San Miguel de Allende. And when the time comes, I'll be burning up my Vonage phone to get people to the voting booth.
I'm more excited and hopeful than I can remember being for a very long time. Si, se puede.

Jon